About being a priest
rhuff163
2010-05-14 04:58:50 UTC
Devotional Guide For the Week of May 9, 2010

JESUS IN NUMBERS

About being a priest

To Know:

³You are to be responsible for the care of the sanctuary and the altar, so
that wrath will not fall on the Israelites again. I myself have selected
your fellow Levites from among the Israelites as a gift to you, dedicated to
the Lord to do the work at the Tent of Meeting. But only you and your sons
may serve as priests in connection with everything at the altar and inside
the curtain. I am giving you the service of the priesthood as a gift. Anyone
else who comes near the sanctuary must be put to death.² (Nu. 18:5-7)

Christians are priests. Peter writes, ³But you are a chosen people, a royal
priesthood, a holy nation.² 1 Pet. 2:9) In Numbers eighteen the privileges
of the priesthood are explained. First, ³ŠI am giving you the service of the
priesthood as a gift.² (vs. 7) Second, ³This also is yours; whatever is set
aside from the gifts of all the wave offerings of the Israelites, I give
this to you and your sons and daughters as your regular share.² (vs. 11)
Thirdly the Lord declares, ³I am your share and your inheritance among the
Israelites.² (vs. 20) Lastly, ³ŠI give to the Levites as their inheritance
the tithes that the Israelites present as an offering to the Lord.
That is why I said concerning them: ŒThey will have no inheritance among the
Israelites.¹ ² (Vs. 24)

Dear Christian, understand that yours is a place of enormous privilege. What
belongs to God belongs to you. The New Testament puts it this way, ³Šyou
died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God.² (Col. 3:4) Whatever
is true of Christ is true of those whose life is hidden in Christ. Serving
him is a gift. The gifts given to him are ours to employ in ministry. We
inherit Christ.

051410$-051410

<š{{{{{{><
James
2010-05-17 12:37:59 UTC
Re: About being a priest
Devotional Guide For the Week of May 9, 2010
JESUS IN NUMBERS
About being a priest
³You are to be responsible for the care of the sanctuary and the altar, so
that wrath will not fall on the Israelites again. I myself have selected
your fellow Levites from among the Israelites as a gift to you, dedicated to
the Lord to do the work at the Tent of Meeting. But only you and your sons
may serve as priests in connection with everything at the altar and inside
the curtain. I am giving you the service of the priesthood as a gift. Anyone
else who comes near the sanctuary must be put to death.² (Nu. 18:5-7)
Christians are priests. Peter writes, ³But you are a chosen people, a royal
priesthood, a holy nation.² 1 Pet. 2:9)
Hello,

Yes, many interpret those verses to mean that a religious hierarchy
exists in Christianity, which includes a priestly class. Such ones
want to be called "Father" when addressing them. But notice Jesus'
words concerning such religious titles: Mt 23:8-10,

"8 As for you, do not be called 'Rabbi.' You have but one teacher, and
you are all brothers. 9 Call no one on earth your father, you have but
one Father in heaven. 10 Do not be called 'Master'; you have but one
master, the Messiah." (NAB)

Sincerely, James

***********************************
Have Jehovah's Witnesses' questions?
http://www.watchtower.org
***********************************

**please note I cannot follow all ng threads
In Numbers eighteen the privileges
of the priesthood are explained. First, ³?I am giving you the service of the
priesthood as a gift.² (vs. 7) Second, ³This also is yours; whatever is set
aside from the gifts of all the wave offerings of the Israelites, I give
this to you and your sons and daughters as your regular share.² (vs. 11)
Thirdly the Lord declares, ³I am your share and your inheritance among the
Israelites.² (vs. 20) Lastly, ³?I give to the Levites as their inheritance
the tithes that the Israelites present as an offering to the Lord.
That is why I said concerning them: ?They will have no inheritance among the
Israelites.¹ ² (Vs. 24)
Dear Christian, understand that yours is a place of enormous privilege. What
belongs to God belongs to you. The New Testament puts it this way, ³?you
died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God.² (Col. 3:4) Whatever
is true of Christ is true of those whose life is hidden in Christ. Serving
him is a gift. The gifts given to him are ours to employ in ministry. We
inherit Christ.
051410$-051410